As tabletop role-playing games get more popular, more and more Dungeon Masters are using Virtual Tabletops (VTTs) to find players and make their adventures come alive. With VTTs, you can play with other people online and share maps, character sheets, and roll virtual dice. As someone who creates content, I know it can be tough to find where to advertise to DMs who use VTTs as part of a social media ad strategy. Here are seven tips to help you reach DMs and start growing your audience:
- Showcase Your Valuable Point of View: Obviously you should share your content, but less obvious is the importance that as a content creator you have a unique perspective which is valuable in the marketplace of ideas. Share graphics and/or clips & long form videos that highlight the unique features and capabilities of your assets but also showcase your thoughts and opinions about gaming and the theory behind your content’s creation. This will help you build awareness and interest and perhaps expand your target audience.
- Network Online. Joining social media groups that focus on content creation or playing specific TTRPGs on Virtual Tabletops (Ex. Facebook or Reddit reddit groups about RPG Map Making) can grow your audience. You can find DMs who use VTTs in these groups and possibly post links to your content if the group allows self-promotion.
- Hashtags. Use hashtags on Twitter and Instagram to find DMs who use VTTs. Hashtags like #DnD, #Roll20, #DungeonsandDragons, #TTRPG and #FantasyGrounds can help you connect with DMs who need your content on the VTT’s they use. Hashtagify and RiteTag are great tools to find hashtags relevant to your audience and the content you produce.
- Engagement. Social media is a two-way conversation, so make sure to engage with your followers and others regularly. Respond to comments, answer questions, and join in on relevant discussions. This will help you build relationships, grow your audience and establish your credibility as a creator of virtual assets for TTRPG games.
- Event Meet-ups. Just because you support gaming online doesnt mean there isn’t opportunity IRL. Attend both in person and online events like GENCON, Roll20CON and Fantasy Grounds Virtual Con to meet DMs who use VTTs. These events are a great way to find new games and connect with other players.
- Collaborate with Influencers. Consider partnering with TTRPG influencers or virtual tabletop streamers to help promote your virtual assets. This could involve providing them with early access to new assets or sponsoring their content. Influencers can help you reach a wider audience and build trust among your target audience.
- Don’t forget Exclusive Content. When you drive traffic to your Patreon (or paid content) page, encourage people to subscribe by having gated premium content. Use Instagram, Twitter and other social media platforms to offer sneak peeks of new assets, behind-the-scenes looks at your creative process and the value of being a Patreon subscriber.
In conclusion, reaching out to DMs who use VTTs on social media can be a bit of a challenge. But if you follow these tips and post consistently about the content you love to create, you’ll grow your audience in no time!
Interested in support The Dungeon Geek! Think about joining my Patreon for Fantasy Battle Maps and More!
Or donate directly by buying me a coffee!